Divan Restaurant

Glass contamination from lamp breakages in food manufacturing is a hazard – and it happens regularly, often with far reaching and costly consequences.

An observance of safer lighting best practice and methods such as the use of GlassGuard® fragment retention lamps could avoid such costly consequences.

“…a light bulb had smashed while he was changing it and then fallen into open lamb and chicken dishes under the hot display cabinet…”

20 February 2013

Takeaway fined £2,000 for glass in food

A takeaway owner has been fined £2,000 after a piece of shattered lightbulb was found in a chicken dish bought by a member of the public from his restaurant.

Abdurahim Teymuroglu, 35, who runs Divan Restaurant in Hertford Road, Enfield, was prosecuted by Enfield Council and pleaded guilty at Enfield Magistrates Court on January 25 to an offence under Regulation 17 of the Food Hygiene (England) Act and was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay £450 costs.

The court heard that Enfield Council’s Environmental Health Officers investigated the restaurant after a member of the public found glass in a £6 meal deal from Divan restaurant in November 2011 containing rice couscous, chicken and potatoes in sauce.

During interview, Mr Teymuroglu said he had not received any complaints but admitted a light bulb had smashed while he was changing it and then fallen into open lamb and chicken dishes under the hot display cabinet and although he had removed the lamb he had failed to change the chicken.

Source: Enfield Council (UK)